Saturday, June 6, 2015

School beginnings/endings/awards

May was a school themed month.  Amy registered for kindergarten, and came away saying "I love kindergarten!"

Leah had an awards night where she earned multiple awards including having all A's from kindergarten through 8th grade.
Leah with her best friends since 3rd grade, Hannah and Fionna at awards night.




Leah and Abby, a friend in our ward at awards night.

Kaitlyn also had an awards night where we thought she was being recognized at her school but when we arrived we found out it was a county-wide awards ceremony where one child from each elementary school had been chosen as that school's gifted student of the year.  Kaitlyn was the gifted student of the year for Sugar Hill Elementary!

One of Kaitlyn's gifted teachers, Mrs. Wood


There was some confusion with the teachers as to the date of the ceremony, and two of her teachers emailed to share their thoughts:

"Mr. and Mrs. Nelson,
I am so sorry that I was unable to attend Kaitlyn's award ceremony last night.  Chris Wood gave me this beautiful picture of her with the award, which I sent to the media center to be on announcements.  I thought youwould like to have a copy of it.  Kaitlyn was voted Gifted Student of the Year unanimously by all the gifted department teachers this year. Congratulations, Kaitlyn!

Joan Gearhart
Gifted Program Teacher
Sugar Hill Elementary"

"This morning I received an email and picture of Kaitlyn with her award from the GAGE ceremony last night.  I feel terrible that I wasn't there...but I did not know the date or time of the awards ceremony.  When asked who I thought should be our choice for Gifted Student of the Year for Sugar Hill my choice was Kaitlyn!  Our whole gifted committee agreed that she embodies all of the characteristics that we would love to see in a gifted child.  I am so very proud of her and all that she has accomplished.  She is the neatest young lady!  Again, I sincerely apologize that I was not there for her last night.  Had I known I would have been.  Congratulations, Kaitlyn!  This honor is well-deserved.

Take care,
Carmen


Mrs. Carmen H. Smith
AC Math Teacher / Math Coach /Gifted Teacher"

We attended Kaitlyn's 5th grade graduation and then Amy and I enjoyed watching her participate in a tradition for the 5th graders of walking down each grade hallway while all the students in the school stand outside their classrooms and cheer on the 5th graders.  Then we went to her classroom for a graduation party.


Kaitlyn walked by so fast I only caught a few seconds of her 5th grade walk of the halls.





Amy missed her preschool graduation because we were attending Kaitlyn's 6th grade orientation.  She was disappointed and I told her I could take her to lunch or something.  She told me that would not be a very good graduation.  I asked her what would be nice and she said to eat ice cream with the family.  So, we had an ice cream graduation for Amy.


We took the kids out to eat to celebrate a great school year while we happened to be in Florida just after school got out.  We will write more about that trip in another post.  For now, we are excited to welcome summer!



The kids have already been enjoying the pool several times even though it is still cold.  Happy summer!






0 comments: