I decided for myself to further my goals for "what I want to be when I grow up". I have a passion for children's literature and would love to get a degree in library science to be a children's librarian. So, I decided this month to find out what I would have to do to accomplish that and start taking a class or two. Well, I forgot that graduate school is different from undergraduate studies...first I would have to apply to a program (including probably taking the GRE) then I would have to complete the degree within a few years. That's not going to work right now. I abandoned the goal for now unless anyone knows a different route I could take.
For my second goal, I wanted to obtain at least one bookcase for the kiddos. I've never put out the money for a bookcase and it has gotten challenging to keep things orderly. So, I decided to learn a new skill and I asked Jared to teach me to make a bookcase. I got to use power tools for the first time in my life (table saw, miter saw, skill saw, dado blade, etc.) and it was a lot of fun. I don't think it will be my new hobby anytime soon, but it made for some fun "dates". I purposely made a slanted top so that we won't be able to stack a mess of stuff on top and so that we can display some favorite books. I went to a thrift shop and bought copies of some of our favorite books and then modge-podged some of the pictures onto the bookcase.
Here are the results:

7 comments:
That's a really cool children's bookcase! I like your future dream job. In a few years I plan on going back to school too. I just don't know what I want to go into yet. Children's librarian sounds like a lot of fun, though.
Wow! I'm impressed! I had to laugh about the slanted top to avoid clutter. I completely understand! ;) And I love the idea to put some of your favorite book pictures on the sides.
That turned out so great, Genevieve! I love the mod-podged pictures, and the display top idea is brilliant! I'm definitely impressed.
Genevieve, it looks good! I'm glad you blogged about it so we could see it!
That is so awesome!!!! I want to buy one. Will you take orders? Seriously though, do you have design plans or did you just make it up as you went along? We NEED bookcases.
that is so cute- you did really well. I don't think I've ever used a saw either, and the one time I used the power drill I drilled too many holes in the wall- so I'm not to handy but yours looks great! I like the pictures on the side too.
One of my friends here worked in the children's section of our local library but she did not have a lib. science degree. She just loves to read. It might depend on your library and how badly they need people. Sounds like fun though :) Love the bookcase!
Post a Comment