Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hooray for the Garden!

We thought our garden was almost a complete flop this year. Everything came up great, but some critter ate ALL our corn, ALL our peaches (except one that an ant ate), most of our tomatoes, squash, etc. We had a tall fence around the garden, and we sprayed the stinky sulfur smelling stuff as well. So irritating. So, we were so delighted when we found these today that somehow grew in areas we hadn't planted them (not sure what to think about that):

I don't know why the pictures are such poor quality. It really wasn't THAT humid today. :) The watermelons are super qualtiy though. I've never had a watermelon fresh from the vine. YUM!!



We also got a few sweet potatoes and that was a nice surprise.

2 comments:

Austin and Amanda said...

Have you ever tried watermelon in a smoothie before? Austin put some in ours this week. It was really light and smooth. I highly recommend it.

Megan said...

Those watermelon sure look good even through the blur. =) I hate garden critters -- so frustrating! Slugs got many of our strawberries, grr! I'm glad you were able to have some surprise harvest at least.