Sunday, February 7, 2010

Leah's Good Week

Well, I decided to post this because I'm realizing that this blog is becoming a family journal. I want to record this for Leah.

She had a great week at school. First, she found out that she won a "Young Author's Award" at school. This means that a poem she wrote was the winning entry for all the third graders at her school. Then, she found out that her artwork won in a t-shirt design contest for the entire school. Her t-shirt design will be the prize for students reaching a certain reading goal by the end of the year. We'll have to try to get a copy of the design to post.

Here is a copy of her poem. You can hear her recite it herself by clicking here.

The Ocean Deep
by Leah Nelson

The fish glide across
the glassy deep
waiting for the anemone to bloom
Coral reefs decorate for the seas to admire
like a vase of lovely flowers
set
on a sandy cloth
Waters fill this deep, dark hole
Providing homes for a masterpiece
Across the moon-lit sea the sharks take a snooze
Giving their prey a break
Everything looks beautiful
down in the ocean deep.

Congratulations on a great week, Leah!

4 comments:

Austin and Amanda said...

Congratulations Leah! We love you!

Jessica 7 said...

I loved hearing her read it - what a wonderful poem. And congrats on the t-shirt design!

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

Wow Leah! Congrats! The poem is GREAT and I'm sure the t-shirt is too!

Megan said...

That is a great poem! Congratulations on both wins, Leah! I hope we can see your T-shirt design soon. Maybe you can model a winning t-shirt if they let you have a complimentary one. =D