I'm going to let out some frustrations here...so if you don't want to listen to complaints, stop reading. I'm also recording this so I have it written down for future reference.
Kaitlyn has a history of allergic-type reactions to sunscreen. It has been clear to us that if we use sunscreen with oxybenzone as an active ingredient, she's going to get a nasty rash. When she was about 3 years old I showed her rash to a dermatologist in our ward who is known as an expert in his field. He said it really didn't look like a typical reaction to sunscreen. But, he said he supposed it was possible. I respected his opinion and went with the "it's possible" since it has seemed like a straight-forward equation with her. Kaitlyn + sunscreen = nasty rash. This wasn't a one-time occurence. So, we use sunscreen that has zinc or titanium as the active ingredient (think pasty thick white life-guard-type that doesn't absorb very well).
This summer I decided to try regular sunscreen again, and she seemed to not have the reaction, so I thought we were over this chapter in her life. Then, she was introduced to a sunscreen with these ingredients: Avobenzone, octyl methoxycinnamate, octyl salicyclate, octocrylene, oxybenzone (again, I'm documenting for future reference). She developed the nastiest rash she's ever had. No big deal except that she still has the rash 2 months later. Her primary care physician didn't know what to think of it so he sent us to the dermatologist.
Here's where my list of complaints begins. First of all, if the primary care physician doesn't have ideas and sends us to a specialist, you would think we would see the specialist. When I got to the appointment I found out that we would be seeing the physician's assistant. I don't have anything against PA's, but again, the primary care doctor didn't know what to think, so why wouldn't we be seeing the expert? Well, the physician's assistant was stumped and said she would have the dermatologist come take a look.
Here comes the second complaint. The dermatologist came in and talked with me for a few seconds and then turned his attention entirely to the physician assistant. They had a rushed conversation and gave me the impression that they felt I was wasting their time. He told her this didn't look like a reaction to sunscreen and was simply dismissing the very idea. I had to interrupt and explain that 3 years ago another dermatologist said the same thing. HOWEVER, we have noticed a simple equation... Kaitlyn + sunscreen = nasty rash. He then told me that he has not had to test a child for an allergy to sunscreen for 8 years, so the odds were not in our favor for allergies. He also said she was too old for that type of allergy. Then, it was back to talking hurriedly with the physician assistant to wrap up our visit so his time was no longer wasted.
Here's my frustrations with this situation...First of all, I'm PAYING him to diagnose Kaitlyn. I don't just pop in to pay him $40 (which is a significant sum for my pocket) so that he can say "who knows", but certainly it's not what the mother thinks. On that note, besides my $40 copay, my insurance is paying him hundreds of dollars for the 5-minute visit. I also am supposed to come back in 3 weeks to see the physician's assistant and pay another $40 so she can see if Kaitlyn is any different.
The PA prescibed 3 medications: Bactorban Cream (Mupirocin Calcium Cream 2%) which I'm supposed to apply 2x's daily to the rash and to her fingernails for one week since they think her rash is infected with staph now, Desonide .05% cream (a steroid to relieve the itching) and Atarax 10mg/5ml (an ALLERGY medication). Did they say ALLERGY?!
Actually, I think their current theory is that Kaitlyn is allergic to something (who knows what) that is leading to eczema which is causing her scratching and hence rash. Interesting...did I mention SEVERAL times that her rash comes ONLY when we apply sunscreen?!!!
To wrap up, I don't like the doctor's office mainly because I run into too many doctors who just seem so arrogant that I feel they don't listen to me or take me seriously. I am not saying I'm a doctor-hater. I happen to like my childrens' primary care physicians. That said, you won't find me at the doctor's office myself very often at all because of experiences throughout my life like my day today. About the only time I set foot in a doctor's office (aside from OBGYN's) is if I'm pretty sure I have strep throat (which I can't diagnose or treat myself).
Oh, by the way, Hyrum also develops a rash with sunscreen, but I know, I know...it's not likely.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Amen, Sister! I don't even go in when I have strep! Luckily, I have a doctor in the family who can call in a prescription. And I never go in every year for my "yearly." I procrastinate that visit for as long as I can. I think I already told you the story of Jeff breaking his leg at 7 months old. I took him in for an xray, and left the office with only a blood test! The doctor couldn't believe it was broken, due to the fact that Jeff laughed during the exam. Long story short, a week later, he got a body brace. Patronizing doctors are the pits! Listen to the mama! She knows her child better than you do!
Thanks Lauralee! And, you're my witness that Hyrum also gets rashes!
I am sorry! That is no fun. Is there any chance of getting a better second opinion instead of a follow-up visit to the unhelpful PA/specialist?
Oh my! I am with you, Sister! I am so sorry you are having to experience this type of "stuff". xo
When you go back for your follow up appointment, print off this blog post and have them read it.
I have the SAME problem with sunscreen with Brandon.
And apparently Luke is allergic to air. And I should never bathe him.
Yeah, those doctors have been helpful for us, too.
You go girl. I think doctors who don't seriously consider what mothers have to say are idiots. The wise ones know that they can get a lot of useful information from 'mother's instinct.'
Post a Comment